Grand Peak Academy operates under the governance of a five (5) member Governing Board. The Governing Board will appoint all board members consisting of three parents and two community members. The Governing Board will be responsible for the financial and educational oversight of the school.
*All meetings are held from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm at 7036 Cowpoke Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80908; room is to be determined.
2019-20 Meetings –
- August 26, 2019 – GPA Board Meeting Agenda August 26 2019
- September 23, 2019 – GPA Board Meeting Agenda September 23, 2019
- October 25, 219 – GPA Board Ribbon Cutting Ceremony Agenda
- October 30, 2019 – GPA Board Meeting Agenda October 30 2019
- November 3, 2019 – GPA Board Meeting Agenda November 3 2019
- November 18, 2019 – GPA Board Meeting Agenda November 18 2019
- November 20, 2019 – GPA Board Meeting Agenda November 20 2019
- December 16, 2019
- January 27, 2020
- February 24, 2020
- March 30, 2020
- April 27, 2020
- May 18, 2020
PARTICIPATION IN MEETINGS:
Board meetings are generally a time for the Board to hear from the Principal, other senior administration representatives, and those who are scheduled to make presentations on selected topics. Colorado law prohibits the Board from discussing public business other than during public meetings or executive sessions (see below). Therefore, these public sessions are working sessions of the Board that are intended to provide interaction between Board members and administration in an effort to reach decisions on a wide variety of issues. With rare exception, these meetings are not the best place for initial discussion to take place. New initiatives or proposals should typically be discussed first with administration and a formal proposal prepared for presentation at a time when the item can be scheduled on the agenda. Nevertheless, there are times when the Board is discussing a proposal that certain individuals attending the meeting can provide valuable insight, expertise and perspective to assist the Board in making wise and well-informed decisions. Generally, those involved in bringing forth an idea, and those most active in the process of researching and presenting a proposal, will be the ones most likely to be called upon for input during the Board’s discussion. In addition, senior administration officials and representatives from other active task forces will be relied upon for their perspective concerning a particular proposal and the impact it will have on various constituencies.
OPEN FORUM/COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC:
All regular and special meetings of the Board shall be open to the public. The Board welcomes and appreciates comments on school operations and programs within the school. Open forum time shall be scheduled during board meetings, except at work sessions, for brief comments and questions from the public. A sign-up sheet will be available for individuals at the beginning of the school board meeting. The Board shall limit the length of public participation to thirty minutes and a time limit for individual speakers of three minutes.
Members of the public wishing to make formal presentations before the Board must notify the Board Secretary fourteen days prior to the Board meeting date and receive approval from the Board president.
During open forum, comments and questions at a regular meeting may deal with any topic related to the Board’s conduct of the schools. Comments at special meetings are limited to topics on the agenda.
Speakers are asked to make comments in a respectful and orderly manner. Personal complaints against any individuals connected with the school system are prohibited. Open meeting forum is not a time to discuss students, staff, or parents by name.
The Board president shall be responsible for recognizing all speakers, maintaining proper order and adherence to time limits. Follow-up action items may be assigned to the appropriate personnel depending on the nature of the comments. The Board may or may not choose to address comments or questions during this time. Members of the public will not be recognized by the president during Board meetings except as noted in this policy.
In addition to public participation time during Board meetings, the Board is committed to engaging members of the community on an ongoing basis regarding community values about education. The public may contact the Board of Directors by phone, letter or via email through the school website at any time.
OTHER VENUES FOR IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS:
New ideas and suggestions are often best handled by contacting the administration. In addition, there are a number of other venues where interested individuals are encouraged to bring forth ideas and suggestions. These include, but are not limited to, Student Character Council; Parents Teachers Organizations (PTOs), Town Hall Meetings, Principal’s Coffees, regularly scheduled parent meetings, and various Task Forces. Proposals which are brought forth through groups such as these, in close cooperation with the administration, are typically organized in a manner that make them easier for the Board to properly consider them and make well-informed decisions.
While the law requires that most Board meetings be open to the public, the Board may meet in a private, “executive” session to consider the following types of matters: (i) purchase or sale of real estate; (ii) conferences with an attorney for the purpose of receiving legal advice; (iii) matters required to be kept confidential by federal or state laws or regulations; (iv) specialized details of security arrangements or investigations; (v) determination of positions relative to contract negotiations; (vi) personnel matters; (vii) consideration of documents protected by the Open Records Act; and (viii) discussion of most individual student matters.
Mr. Chris Dempsey, Board President
Mr. Michael Phillipich, Board Vice President
Ms. Jennifer Reishus, Board Treasurer
Mr. Stephen Teague, Board Secretary
Mr. Brandon Henry, Communications Director
- ICA Board Minutes May 13 2019
- ICA Board Minutes April 29 2019
- ICA Board Minutes March 18 2019
- ICA Board Minutes March 5 2019
- ICA Board Minutes March 3 2019
- ICA Board Minutes March 1 2019
- ICA Board Minutes February 25 2019
- ICA Board Minutes January 28 2019
- ICA Board Minutes Jan 18 2019
- ICA Board Minutes Jan 10 2019
- ICA Board Minutes Jan 9 2019
- ICA Board Minutes Jan 7 2019
- ICA Board Minutes December 10 2018
- ICA Board Minutes November 26 2018
- ICA Board Minutes October 29 2018
- ICA Board Minutes September 24 2018
- ICA Board Minutes August 27 2018
- ICA Special Board Meeting Minutes May 23 2018
- ICA Special Board Meeting Minutes May 21 2018
- ICA Board Minutes May 14 2018
- ICA Board Minutes May 14 2018
- ICA Board Minutes April 23 2018
- ICA Board Minutes Special Phone Meeting April 2, 2018
- ICA Board Minutes March 19 2018
- ICA Board Work Session Minutes March 5, 2018
- ICA Board Work Session Minutes February 26 2018
- ICA Board Minutes Jan 22 2018
- ICA Board Minutes Dec 4 2017
- ICA Board Minutes Oct 23 2017
- ICA Board Minutes Oct 11 2017
- ICA Board Minutes Sept 25 2017
- ICA Board Minutes Aug 14 2017
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes May 15, 2017
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes April 24, 2017
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Mar 20, 2017
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Feb 27, 2017
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Jan 23, 2017
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Dec 5, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Nov 10, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Oct 24 2016
- ICA Special Board Meeting Minutes Oct 6, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Sept 26, 2016
- ICA Special Board Meeting Minutes Sept 16, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Aug 22, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes June 13, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes May 9, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Apr 25, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Mar 21, 2016 Rev. 1
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Feb 22, 2016
- ICA Special Board Meeting Minutes Feb 10, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Jan 26, 2016
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Dec 7, 2015
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Oct 26, 2015
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Sept 24, 2015
- ICA Board Meeting Minutes Aug 26, 2015
- IIR Special Board Meeting Minutes June 19, 2015